Monday, March 25, 2013

Day 5 Forward on One Goal, A Step Back on the Other

There was no post for Day 4 of my quest to get healthier one day at a time. Migraine headache subsided partially and I decided not to test whether physical activity would amp it back up or not. Nausea from the headache precluded any real eating, so it was mostly a clear liquids day for me.

Day 5: Doing a happy dance because the headache is gone, gone, gone!

I got in over 15 minutes of moderate physical activity today between the walking video and shoveling a light layer of snow from the driveway. Both are heart-pumping activities and engage different muscle sets, so overall felt like a good workout today.

Only three servings of fruits and vegetables today, one of which was a glass of white grape juice, so I will count that as a half serving, not in calorie count, but total nutrient/nutritional value. Although juices are one way to increase daily servings, they are also more concentrated in calories and lack the fiber of a fruit or vegetable.

I should share that I am a type 2 diabetic, taking one medication daily for aid in blood sugar control. The Mediterranean diet was suggested to me when I was diagnosed with diabetes, and after initially following through quite well, I slacked off. This is where whole grains, fruits and vegetables come in as major staples of the diet, along with fish, nuts, limited dairy, limited red meat, and limited fats beyond olive oil.

Is anyone else following the Mediterranean-style of eating? It might be great to share recipes and meal ideas, if you're interested.

Until tomorrow, keep believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment