Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 7 On the Way to Establishing Habits

Day 7: I don't know if anyone else sees a change in me, but I do when I look in the mirror. No, I'm not talking about weight loss. There is nothing to see there quite yet.

What I see when I look in the mirror is a woman with some fire in her eyes and a smile that seems wider than it has in quite some time. When I walk, I feel like I have more pep in my step. I don't know that any of these things are true or if it's just that my perception is changing. Either way is just fine by me. First and foremost, I have to like the person that I am, from the inside to the outside.

At this point, I am not weighing myself or taking body measurements. I know that sounds a little goofy, but while weight loss is certainly an aim of my changing habits, the real goal is to become a healthier me.

I'll know from the fit of my clothes, to the distance I can walk without becoming winded, by the increased overall energy I have for life that I am making headway toward becoming healthier.

I don't want to obsess over numbers, unless we're talking about numbers like blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure. These are numbers that help to measure my healthiness.

Might I change my mind sometime in the future and begin to court the scales and measuring tape? I might, but for now I am keeping my focus on the bigger picture.

Have you found that weighing yourself or taking your measurements are motivating factors in weight loss? In becoming healthier? I'd like to learn what has worked for you.

Until next time, take care, please.

2 comments:

  1. SO proud of you! Keep up the good work! The journey is just beginning but I see great you doing great things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily! I appreciate your support and encouragement.

    I could get caught up in thinking "Why didn't I do this years ago?" But that gains nothing positive, so working to stay in the here and now, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete