Thursday, March 21, 2013

First Day -- I've Gotta Start Somewhere

I admit it. I've morphed into a laptop potato -- the technological equivalent of a couch potato. I've never been the athletic type, but was more than moderately physically active when working as a nurse in long-term care.

For at least a couple of years, once a day I would vow to myself, "Tomorrow I'm going to change." Today was finally that "tomorrow" for me. Have you found your "tomorrow" yet, or is it still something rolling around in the idea category? If you find yourself saying "yes" to the latter, you have lots of company. Before today, I was one of those people.

I could set myself a number of goals, but for right now I am limiting myself to getting at least 15 minutes of exercise each day and including at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables in my daily diet.

These are pretty modest goals, but even small changes are a starting point. I don't want to set myself up to fail before I get to square one.

So, today I reached my exercise goal, but just barely. I'm beginning with Leslie Sansone's "Fast & Firm! 4 Really Big Miles." It sounds pretty ambitious for a laptop potato, but this isn't my first go-around with getting healthier. I've learned to take any exercise regimen and break it down to smaller or shorter intervals, increasing along the way.

Today, I made it through the warm-up period on the video. Please don't laugh! I then finished my 15 minutes of exercise by walking in place, just at a slower pace than the video would have done. Okay, it sounds ludicrous, but it's a beginning.

And I had 5 servings of vegetables throughout the day. No fruits seemed appealing. I hope that changes.

Until tomorrow, I wish you better health.

No comments:

Post a Comment